In October of 1897, Melville B. Malcolm, received his diploma from the Chicago College of Embalming as approved by the Department of Anatomy, Sanitary Science, Embalming and Funeral Directing giving him the title degree of Funeral Director. This was the start of a long-standing traditional funeral business in the town of Pembroke. Mr. Malcolm, established himself with his partner James Leach in a downtown Pembroke storefront business named "Leach & Malcolm - Funeral Directors & Embalmers". They also specialized in furniture repairs, upholstering and re-polishing, these were the beginnings. Later Roy Deavitt joined Mr. Malcolm and in the 1940's moved to our present location at 141 Renfrew Street. It was here that the business evolved into a modern-day funeral home. Gerry Binhammer served his apprenticeship in the funeral trade at Dreisinger Funeral Home in Elmira, Ontario. After he received his Funeral Director's licence in 1954, he was employed at the McDougall Brown Funeral Home in Toronto, where he worked for ten years. Gerry & Doreen were married in 1960 and the young couple were keen to establish themselves when they moved to Pembroke and purchased the Malcolm and Deavitt Funeral Home in 1963. The Binhammer's always had one clear goal from the very beginning of their many years in Pembroke - "We serve the needs of families after the loss of a loved one and our commitment is to serve with grace, sensitivity and love in a tradition of excellence". Ron Hamilton, was raised on a dairy farm near Pembroke, the son of the late Maurice (MPP for Renfrew north from 1958 to 1975) and Isabel Hamilton. Ron began his career at the Malcolm, Deavitt & Binhammer Funeral Home in July of 1965, obtaining his Funeral Director's licence in 1968. Ron served as Managing Director from 1992 until he and his wife Helen purchased the business on November 1, 2000. Helen and Ron were married on June 21st, 1969 and have two married daughters and four grandchildren. Throughout Ron's career he was honoured to serve families of Pembroke and area for nearly 47 years in their time of need. Bruce & Sandy England were both born in Hamilton, Ontario and were married in October of 1987. Bruce received his Funeral Director's licence in 1985 and began his career at the Swackhamer & Hilts - Blachford & Wray Funeral Home in Hamilton. In 1990, Bruce was appointed General Manager of the Legacy Group of Funeral Homes in Hamilton, where he served for six years before moving to Mount Forest to work at the Hendrick Funeral Home. In 2011 Bruce & Sandy purchased the Malcolm, Deavitt & Binhammer Funeral Home from Ron & Helen Hamilton. Bruce & Sandy remain committed to maintaining the Malcolm, Deavitt & Binhammer reputation of being "Built on a Tradition of Excellence".